Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Technical Difficulties

Don't you just love hearing that. "We're sorry we are experiencing technical difficulties at this present moment and cannot provide our service"

Well, tada... hi my video card died so no SecondLife, no anything really until I can replace it which should hopefully only be a day or so... hopefully.

*hugs* to all my friends I hope you come read this so that you at least know why I'm not haven't been logging in.

** UPDATE **

Things were a bit hectic but we've at least partially resolved the issue. From just video messing up the audio went too and with it the fear that it was the motherboard that was screwed. Thankfully we got our heads on straight and decided to try swapping back to the old RAM (these issues occurred when we tried to double our RAM) and; while tragically 1 gig of RAM isn't working/being detected, things are at least in working order.

Time to head to the store and bitch about the faulty RAM they sold us!

So, I am back in action I do have the ability to log into SL but it may be really slow going with only 1 gig of RAM *eek*

** UPDATE **

Soooo, new RAM from the store, same issue when we plug in it. Now during all this it's been my brother who's put the RAM in. As he did with this new RAM that screwed up just the same today. After he left I took a peek and noticed he was putting this new RAM into two different slots.

The motherboard we have has 4 slots for RAM, two are yellow two are black, the old RAM was being put in the yellow, the new ones were in the black. So I took the RAM outa the black and put em in the yellow and voila they work with only one issue: one of the yellow slots is fried (hence why I only had 1gig of RAM before).

This of course concludes that it is in fact the motherboard and not the RAM and, had my brother been consistent with the slots he was putting it in, we would have known this before we exchange the RAM.

Anyway. For the time being things are alright, I'm back up to 2gigs of RAM (which is what I had before all this kerfuffle) which I can live with until such time as we can get a new motherboard and get all 4 gigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment