Saturday, December 19, 2009

Engraving

In the past while of scripting it has come upon me to finally get around to dealing with such things like XyText that a few in the BDSM scene will see on their collar or some such.

Most often place I've seen it is on collars, Dari Haus, Real Restraint, ToKon.. they all have "labels" or "titles" that allow the user to write some word(s) to describe their sub.

This is done by having individual prims laid across the area you desire for text and then applying a texture of a letter that you want; more sophisticated ones will seek to save memory by making one texture with all letters and just changing where it's aligned.

Anywho: when tasked with making a function like that I looked around at the open source functions available. Namely XyText (and its deviations) on the Wiki and Dari Haus' collars. Much to my displeasure these did not have the functionality I desired nor were they efficient.

Things like XyText are designed more for in world objects you rez so it does its best to be prim savvy, some of it's deviations work to display multiple letters on a single prim etc and frankly I didn't need the extra process for that because as I'm making an attachment prim count doesn't matter as much.

Dari's work wasn't much better, s/he'd used some weird method I had issues wrapping my head around to do it and; again, it didn't offer what I wanted and would take twice as much work to modify it to me needs then just writing from scratch.

So for the past while I've been writing Engraving V 1.0 which can write text on prims, one letter per prim (no limit to how many prims it can do so far), read whats written on the prims (this prevents you from losing data upon a script reset, the script will just read whats written on the prims and reload it into the menus like my Recolour V 3.1a does), allows multiple text colours and allows for alignment (left, center, right) of text.

This function, split into two groups of 8 prims (configurable separately), will be found on my new (early alpha stages of development) Anthemion Collar designed to correspond with the Anthemion Chastity Belt/Bra set as well as the Simplicity cuffs (which I've wanted to update for a while).

No comments:

Post a Comment